Friday 27 July 2012

Gorgeous Tray

I saw this tray on Pinterest, pinned from Etsy.  It was made by Up in the Air Somewhere, who has some gorgeous pieces!  However the tray is out of my price range but I thought that I could reproduce something similar on my small budget!!



  1. I had this old tray in the cupboard already and didn't really like the pattern.  I used Plasti-Kote spray paint in cream and gold leaf colour.  
  2. I sprayed a coat of cream over the tray.  I took about 6 coats until there was a good even coverage.
  3. This was the most difficult part, and it took me a few goes before I got the pattern right.  I used a low adhesive tape my husband had in the house.  It didn't really have the best hold around the corners and bends of the tray, but otherwise was ok.
  4. After about 5/6 coats of gold spray, I peeled off the tape.  The gold has bled below the tape in a few places but I actually don't mind that.




Et voila...


I finished the tray by spraying it with a clear protective coat, again from Plasti-Kote.   Overall I spent £21 on spray.  They're not empty yet, so I have a few more projects out of them yet!

My tray doesn't have the same lustre as the original tray but I am really pleased with how it turned out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment